Allinge and its sister village Sandvig are located on the Northeastern side of Bornholm. This is the part of Bornholm where tourists first began coming in the 1880's
Allinge began as a fishing village, but today the harbour is used more by private yachts and sailships as well as ferries to Christiansø and Simrishamn in Sweden. The harbour has been an important link in the connection to Sweden and the Bishopry in Lund that held power over Bornholm for long periods.
Allinge Church from the 16th century is a cozy little church. It has two Plague Plaques hanging inside, showing lists of the dead during the plague epidemics in 1618 and 1654. In the church yard is a runic stone, the Klemensker 2, which has been dated to 1030-40.
Most of Allinge is made up of small half-timbered houses, reminders of the period when the main occupation in Allinge was herring fishery and its inhabitants were poor.
Today much of Allinge has been converted to accomodate tourists, like Pension Slægtsgaarden in Østergade. Like most hotels and pensions in Allinge and Sandvig, it is a beautiful tranquil place to stay.
Allinge is next to the sea, for better or worse. The coast in this part of Bornholm is rocky, and Allinge Harbour is not a naural harbour - people had to work hard to create the harbour and find reasonably flat spots to put the smokehouses needed to process the herring.
Allinge Smokehouse still smokes fish, herring, trout and eel to name a few, but today the daily production is eaten almost instantaneously by visiting tourists.